Friday 26 September 2014

Packing for Mars, The Curious Science of Life in the Void

Ok so this week on our travels to the local charity shops, we managed to get Ariel (aka The Voice) a kiddie type lap top thingy for £2, Spotted by Shazzy (aka 8 yo).  Ariel loves it.




We found 3 great books (total £2)



We also found a lovely piece of cloth, I am going to teach the girls to use my new sewing machine (Have been trying to get one for ages and finally was able to) So far I have opened the box and read and re-read the instructions, I will check YouTube when I get a chance for any relevant videos. It looks like a great machine and has fantastic reviews, but it has been so long since I have used one I want to be sure what I am doing first.



The material is like a giant Iggle Piggle blanket.. 



We had a vote and decided not to use it for our sewing projects, instead we will wrap ourselves up in it when it gets cold.


We have also have signed up for 2 Open University Courses

Shazzy is doing the Basic Science Understanding Experiments (with my help!)

Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Observation, Note Taking, Look/Discuss Data, Experimentation and Design.



This weeks experiment was to find out how much water a potato contained. This involved weighing the potato, then nuking it for a minute at a time and writing the weight down after each minute.



Even Poppy cat was intrigued.


Shazzy took notes, while I nuked the spud...




The potato started out weighing 212g and after nuking it for 17 minutes, it weighed 50g , so we worked out it originally contained 162g of water.


50g
I think I need to practice my graph's it's been a while...



(Note to self: Remember to get digital scales asap)

(162/212) x 100 = 76.4% was water

The second course is for me only, Teaching Computing Part 1 to go with the Coding I am learning. deep Joy.



Ariel was in a creative mood this week (yes that is Upsy Daisy's legs to the left) and for all the parents out there ....



She made some lovely creations  and pictures 










Well we finally made it to Friday, Ariel is relaxing on my bed with her Leapster and Shazzy is enjoying a Minecraft video.

(Latest Minecraft news:

British Museum to be digitally recreated in Minecraft and Minecraft map of the UK upgraded to include houses).



Have a great week-end <3











No comments: